Home' Queanbeyan Chronicle : Q Chronicle 12-08-2014 Contents Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 10
Ensure your child is health-ready.
Call Jerra MC today and have
our nurses complete a 4-year-old
HEALTHY KID'S CHECKUP!
This is a bulk billed consultation
Dr Jennifer Leung's
Dr. Jennifer Leung
For all females, The Clinic
offers you a safe, warm and
attentive place to discuss
Be treated thoughtfully
by a female doctor with
a passion for, and additional
training in, women's health.
Ph: 6299 8892
Open 7 days
8.00am to 8.00pm
8.30am to 2.00pm
MAIN SHOPPING CENTRE
11/2 LIMESTONE DRIVE
Opposite petrol station.
Jerrabomberra Medical Centre
Reprieve offers little relief as rates battle rages
Queanbeyan City Council has settled
on a plan to put retrospective rates bills
on hold while it seeks advice from the
NSW Minister for Local Government.
Councillors agreed to the action at
an informal meeting last week and will
ratify a motion at an extraordinary
meeting tomorrow, Wednesday,
August 13, to hold the payment date
on backdated bills until they have
received advice from the minister.
But Monaro MP John Barilaro
warned picking apart the council s
mistakes could be a drawn-out process
with no guarantees. "Queanbeyan City
Council has rowed up the creek and
now it s my job to find them a paddle,"
Mr Barilaro has been a vocal critic
of the Queanbeyan council s decision
to recoup a shortfall of $3.7 million in
outstanding rates charges found
through an audit of the council s
property database going back to the
2009-10 financial year.
Residents have been issued with
retrospective rates bills for up to
$94,000 to recover the shortfall, with
others receiving refunds.
"It is worth remembering that this
unsatisfactory situation could have
been averted had the council elected to
wear the cost of its mistake in the first
place," he said.
The advice Mr Barilaro has received
pointed to a procedure for writing off
rates and charges under Local
Government Regulation if the council
believed efforts to recover the amount
would not be cost effective.
"I believe that the cost of
[defending] a class action could satisfy
this clause," Mr Barilaro said.
Shouldering a $10,000 blow in
backdated rates, small business owner
Kim Morris said the temporary hold
on the backdated notices provided
little comfort. "Sure it s a reprieve," he
said. "But it doesn t mean the charges
will go away. We need to stick together
as a group and keep the pressure on."
Affected ratepayers gathered at a
second community meeting to fight
the backdated invoices.
Many in the 100-strong crowd were
outraged Mayor Tim Overall did not
attend the meeting.
"It s political suicide not to be here,"
one furious ratepayer shouted as others
called for the sacking of the council s
Boettcher Law Solicitor Rory Mark-
ham recently moved into Benedict
House and offered at the meeting to
provide any affected ratepayers with a
clear sense of their legal options.
"We are one of the only law firms in
town that s not part of the Queanbeyan
Council s panel," he said.
Ratepayers voted in support of
establishing a Queanbeyan Ratepayers
Association at the meeting and are still
considering an option of a legal
challenge against the backdated rates.
Karabar High School has a large contingent of 63 students taking part in the 3-legged race. Picture: Elesa Kurtz
Karabar in 3-legged running to break the record
Karabar High School has the largest
contingent of students banding
together in a bid to break a Guinness
World Record for the largest ever
3-legged race this week.
Indigenous and non-indigenous
Australians will pair up for the race
held at Northbourne Oval on Tuesday,
August 12, and attempt to beat the
current record of 649 pairs of 3-legged
The event has been organised in
partnership between Canberra Raiders,
Habitat Personnel and the Department
of Veterans Affairs as part of the
National Rugby Leagues Close the
Gap round 23.
Year 8 student Tiarhna Newman and
her Year 7 partner Teileah Howarth are
two of the 64 students from Karabar
High School attending.
As an indigenous Australian
Tiarhna said the event was a cool way
to bring cultures together and to do
something different on a school day.
"It s not every day you get to try and
break a Guinness World Record," she
said. "We ll be trying not to fall over.
If we break the record I ll be bragging
about it everywhere."
It s hoped a big turnout will help
break the record and those that take
part will receive a 2-for-1 ticket for the
Raiders v Dragons match at GIO
A joint state and local government
project to construct a roundabout at
the corner of Southbar and Donald
roads is now complete.
The NSW government provided
$308,000 towards the roadworks,
with Queanbeyan City Council
chipping in the remaining
$515,000 of the project costs.
The busy intersection previously
had three stop signs and it was
suggested a roundabout rather than
the confusion of multiple stop
signs would make it safer and
easier for drivers to negotiate right
Eight crashes have occurred at
the busy crossroads in the last six
years, with local residents
suggesting there have been
countless near misses.
Motorists have been unable to
use the intersection since
construction began more than 10
weeks ago, on May 26.
Queanbeyan Mayor Cr Tim
Overall joined Monaro MP John
Barilaro on August 4 to officially
open the new roundabout.
Cuts to hit hard
NSW Country Labor
candidate for Monaro, Steve
Whan, has warned that as
public hospitals feel the
squeeze of $50 billion in
federal health cuts more
primary health services will
fall out of the scope of public
hospital core business .
In early June Mr Whan
placed pressure on NSW
Health to come clean and
provide the community with
answers after it was revealed
two community dementia care
positions were made vacant.
NSW Health issued a
statement last week revealing
one of the Commonwealth
funded Home and Community
Care dementia support
positions had been transferred
from the hospital on July 1
and would now be undertaken
by local NGO BaptistCare.
"They should have told us
from day one," Mr Whan said.
"For the first three weeks there
was a complete denial that
there was anything
"Now the health service has
come out and said they are
moving services out into the
The statement from
NSW Health said the
transfer was the result of
health-related jobs (such as
transport or domestic care)
from the Local Health
Mr Whan said a "bunker
mentality" or defensive
attitude to questions
around health service
provision developed when
staff were constantly under
pressure about services and
coping with cost saving
"What tends to happen is
that they get leapt on from
on high by their
conservative ministers if
they come out and actually
tell people what s going
on," he said.
Of the $50 billion in
proposed public hospital
cuts outlined in the Abbott
government budget, Mr
Whan said Southern NSW
Health would take a
$370 million hit.
He said larger hospitals
such as Queanbeyan and
Bega would be hit hardest.
Queanbeyan s transport needs will be
the subject of a community forum in
response to concerns about the
proposed Ellerton Drive Extension.
Local groups sponsoring the forum,
the Jerrabomberra Residents
Association and Queanbeyan
Conservation Alliance, are dismayed
that residents concerns about the road
have not been heard by decision-
makers, particularly Queanbeyan City
Consulting Services will moderate the
community conversation on Saturday,
August 24, from 2-4.30 at the
Jerrabomberra Community Hall.
President of the Jerrabomberra
Residents Association Michael Ziebell
said the large sums of money promised
by both the federal and NSW
government could be used in a number
of ways to tackle transport issues.
"It is time to involve the community
in a discussion about the issues to help
our elected representatives make the
right decision, he said.
Links Archive Q Chronicle 05-08-2014 Q Chronicle 19-08-2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page