Home' Queanbeyan Chronicle : Q Chronicle 12-01-16 Contents Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10
TOLL WORST IN THREE YEARS
The scene of an accident on the Kings Highway near Batemans Bay on January 7 where a car crashed down a 10-metre embankment.
Speed biggest killer on NSW roads
New South Wales has recorded its
worst road toll in three years. There
were 348 deaths on NSW roads in
2015, 41 more than the previous year
when it was at a record low.
Speed remains the biggest killer,
Minister for Roads Duncan Gay said.
"It s incredibly disappointing,
especially considering the amount of
resources we ve put into driver
education and on ensuring high
visibility deterrents are in place, he
Compared with the previous year,
the 2015 statistics show pedestrian
deaths were up by 20 to 61,
motorcyclist deaths were up by seven
to 66, and deaths from p-plate driver
crashes were up by 16 to 50.
Bernard Carlon from the Centre for
Road Safety said specific initiatives
had been introduced to target key areas
of concern, including drug driving.
"Tougher mobile phone penalties
have also been introduced to
encourage everyone, particularly
young drivers, to get their hand off it,"
Mr Carlon said.
Motorists travelling between
Canberra and the south coast are again
being urged to be more aware of road
conditions, following an accident on
Thursday, January 7, which left an
11-year-old girl in a critical condition
All four occupants of a car had to be
airlifted to hospital when the car
crashed down a 10-metre embankment
on the Kings Highway near Batemans
Far South Coast Local Area
Command Inspector Angela Burnell
said on Friday that it was too early to
determine the cause of the crash.
The unpredictable nature of the
weather [last] week and in coming
days should be a strong reminder to all
road users to adjust to the conditions,
This crash has not been an isolated
incident, with a fatality occurring
earlier [last] week, where a vehicle left
the road at Mogo.
In a separate incident, another driver
was also fined for driving through
1.4 metre flood waters on a bridge
between Tathra and Bermagui.
Queanbeyan Police are also
continuing investigations into an
incident on Christmas Day, after a
member of the public provided them
with dashcam footage of a car
repeatedly overtaking and narrowly
avoiding head-on collisions twice, on
the highway between Queanbeyan and
High visibility police will continue
to be out on the roads with double
demerit points resuming from January
22 to 26.
The Captains Flat community garden
will be expanded with the help of
a $3500 grant from the NSW
Situated at the Captain s Flat
Public School, the garden has had
a positive impact on students and
the wider community, helping to
encourage healthy cooking and eating
habits, member for Monaro John
It is crucial that we teach our
children about healthy eating practices
early on, Mr Barilaro said.
The grant would enable the school
to implement important sustainable
practices, teach gardening skills,
including design and construction,
and promote healthy lifestyles.
The grant is part of a wider program
designed to strengthen ties between
the community and schools.
Input call for blueprint to stem domestic violence
Queanbeyan residents are being urged
to have their say on domestic and
family violence, as the state
government prepares to tackle the
scourge of violence in the community.
The aim of the Domestic and
Family Violence Blueprint is to
enhance the response to violence, and
find ways to better target perpetrators
and improve support for victims.
The public consultation period
invites feedback from anyone who
would like to contribute to the
conversation, including those who
may have used or provided domestic
and family violence-related services.
The NSW government achieved
significant reforms in 2015, including
allowing video evidence in courts and
updating the mandatory NSW schools
years 7 to 10 PDHPE syllabus to
explicitly include domestic violence.
The consultation is open and closes at
5pm on Friday, February 5.
To join the conversation and to
download the community workshop
toolkit visit haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au
and search Queanbeyan .
Queanbeyan police are calling for
anyone with any information on the
fire that destroyed the historic Cantle s
Cottage to come forward.
Detective Sergeant Mick Handley
said even the smallest detail could help
in the investigation.
The cottage went up in flames about
7.30pm on Tuesday, December 29. No
one was injured in the blaze that
destroyed the building, which had
been standing since 1893.
Historians are angry because
Cantle s Cottage, which belongs now
to Queanbeyan Golf Club, was left for
so long unsecured and prone to
repeated vandal attacks.
It was just a little weatherboard
cottage but it is in that particular early
part of town that has disappeared,
Queanbeyan historian Gillian Kelly
That is where the town originally
started from before it was a town, she
To lose it because of neglect...it
is the end of the story. There is nothing
left of the mill, nothing left of the
original mill house that was meant for
the manager of the mill. All that was
left of that story was Cantle s
Information about the fire can be
provided anonymously to Crime
Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or phone
Queanbeyan police station on
Big day for SES heroes
A number of
their service to
member of the State Emergency
Service could be called on to help out.
Through fire and flood, the volunteers
provide physical support and
assistance to the community in often
difficult and dangerous situations.
Celebrating 51 years of service, the
Queanbeyan SES was born out of
tragedy when two young girls lost
their lives swimming in the river.
A community group was formed to
provide volunteer service in
Of the 99 members of the
Queanbeyan unit, eight were recently
recognised for long service with the
community organisation, including
Jules Rucksa, who has served for 30
In 2015, Queanbeyan SES members
volunteered in excess of 19,000 hours
Links Archive Q Chronicle 15-12-15 Q Chronicle 19-01-16 Navigation Previous Page Next Page